Monday, March 5, 2012

Turning A Corner

March can be a confusing month in Anchorage. The light is coming back- the days are longer, sunbeams stream into the house in new and forgotten angles, and we all start to feel more energetic. But the snow is still coming down, falling into the biggest piles I've ever seen. This year has been a record snow year for Anchorage- we've had the 3rd greatest snowfall of all time, and are only 9 inches shy of the alltime record- and we'll make it- probably this week. It's going to take forever to melt.

Last week, I got some good news. All is still going well, so I got some clearance to start doing more sitting up and standing up. It's more or less dependant on my own monitoring, so I'm keeping a log of what activity I do and seeing how it affects me. So far I've had no cramping, which is encouraging.

The best part is the sitting up can be done just about anywhere- my kitchen table, the hair salon, out to dinner. I'm already finding that it makes a huge difference to get out of the house for a little bit. An hour in the pedicure chair and I'm totally content to spend the rest of the day on my side again. I'm getting a major mental health break.

Don't worry, I'm being conservative and easing into it. I'm laying down right now as we speak. But it has been pretty exciting to be more independent. Last week I drove myself to my doctor appointment and it felt just like the day I bought my first car in Denver after not having one for a few years. I wanted to drive over any state line. I put the radio up and the windows down. It was a great feeling.

I've found, at first, that I feel a little uncomfortable in public and in crowds. I've found that others (and sometimes myself) are more comfortable with the absolutism of Total Bed Rest. But I'm working my way towards Modified Bed Rest and it's really great.

I won't be cleared to go back to work for a while yet. But I'll be able to cook dinner for my family a few nights a week, catch a movie, get my teeth cleaned, and get ready for the baby a little more actively.

5 comments:

  1. Kate, you're an inspiration of strength - and a great reminder to the rest of us to keep things in perspective and stop whining about things that don't matter. Keep it up, can't wait to see those pretty painted toes, and congratulations on getting one sitting-session closer to the elusive and prized Moderate Bed Rest. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how was your Big Night Out last night? I totally forgot to ask for a toe viewing at lunch yesterday, haha.
      PS this is Minta btw, I don't know why I show up as "unknown" - I'm logged in and can see my happy shiny face, haha

      Delete
  2. Way to go, Kate! Making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kate, thinking of you and wondering when we are going to get another update. Spring in front of us, summer ahead, Lawry Pond, lobsters and beer sure to come. Loving you always, P

    ReplyDelete