Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 48

I've been negligent, posting on this blog. Mostly because things started to get monotonous. I started to feel monotonous. Sometimes it's hard to visit with people because I have nothing much to say. Bed rest makes me feel dull, that's all I can say about that.

Tomorrow will mark the completion of 7 weeks of bed rest. Which is mind boggling. This week has been more challenging, in finding positivity. Sometimes I just need to be alone and wallow a little. Ultimately I'm keeping my chin up and looking on the bright side and all that.

Today I saw my perinatologist, and my cervix was measuring almost normal for my stage of pregnancy. Which is GREAT. It means the bed rest is working and then some. It means that I don't have to worry about going to the hospital for bed rest (at least, not at this point). It means my cervix is tolerating the growing fetus with aplomb.

Baby girl weighs 1 lb 6 ounces today. She's doing very well. Bed rest doesn't seem to bother her at all.

As a special reward for my superb cervical measurement, my doctor today gave me the ok to schedule a pre-natal massage next week, which I badly need. All the lying on my side is wreaking havoc on my neck, my back, and my hips. I am getting noticeably weaker; certainly I've lost some muscle. Heaving myself off the memory-foam couch nest is harder and harder each day.

I'm 23 weeks and 5 days pregnant. We're still in the risky zone, but it gets better every day. A chart, for your perusal:

COMPLETED WEEKS OF GESTATION AT BIRTH
(using last menstrual period)
CHANCE OF SURVIVAL
21 weeks and less
0%
22 weeks
0-10%*
23 weeks
10-35%
24 weeks
40-70%
25 weeks
50-80%
26 weeks
80-90%
27 weeks
>90%
30 weeks
>95%
34 weeks
>98%
eryon
* Most babies at 22 weeks are not resuscitated because survival without major disability is so rare.
 
A baby's chances for survival increases 3-4% per day between 23 and 24 weeks of gestation and about 2-3% per day between 24 and 26 weeks of gestation. After 26 weeks the rate of survival increases at a much slower rate because survival is high already.
At this point, I am at a much lower risk for pre-term labor, as my cervix is doing good and my uterus is cramping less. But, I will wait until 27 weeks before I start pushing for more privileges. High on my list: a haircut and a walk around the block.
Thanks to eveeyone who has checked in. I'm doing fine. Super bored. Sick of the couch. Loving this kid I'm growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment